Thursday, August 27, 2009

Cine-Speak Week 3


The cinema. Oh lordy yes, I cried, for I have studied Screen History and Analysis, and find it so interesting to learn the technical aspects of various art forms. Overall, I don't watch much television, but every now and then, I may (not indicting myself of any crime) download a very hard to find silent film. I love those rascals. Charlie Chaplin, meow.

But back on topic. the lecture discussed the basics of film production and narrative development. The lecturer talked about the importance of 'shots as words', a phrase I really love, considering that silent film relied heavily on the audience being able to interpret pure action on screen. The who, what, where, why, when, and how, have to answered for the audience to understand what is happening.

It was also interesting listening to the development of the cinema and television to what it has become today, with mass video's, spoof series, cartoon channels, and just about anything else you could ever want on the net, easily available at the click of a mouse.

Below is an extract from one of my favourite movies, "Me, And You, And Everyone We Know". It's a scene that is in relation to the communication between two lonely strangers, and well, it's kind of hard to explain, but fantastic nonetheless.

No comments:

Post a Comment