Thursday, August 27, 2009

A Short History on Computing & the Internet

Before this lecture my knowledge on the history of computers and internet was limited. Actually, I knew a few names associated with a few companies, but nothing like the information I was about to learn. I find this quite peculiar considering how much of an impact these technologies have on my day to day existence. Thanks to the work of men and women like Baggage, Byron, Turing, Gates, Jobs, and Wozniak, I can sit in my lounge chair with my MacBook on my lap, switching between the screens of my facebook, chess game, online novel, and this assignment, and live my postmodern life with unchallenged ease.

To my suprise, the first computer had its origins in the 19th century. Charles Babbage was a British inventor who was the first person to envision the design of the modern computer. His first computer-related invention was the 'Difference Engine', a mechanical device that was designed to calculate and print mathematical tables, which was the first mechanical processing computer. His designs facilitated in the future development of the modern computer.

The major development of computers was achieved in the 20th century by Alan Turing. Turing workedwith teams of mathematicians and cryptographers to create 'The Bombe', a computer used to break secret German 'Enigma' codes. This age of computer development made significant breakthroughs in the usage of the computers, and spurred future studies into how computers could successfully aid humans in technological progress.


During the years between 1978-2000, the computer became person, thanks to developments by names like Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, and Steve Woznaik. These men and their affiliated companies, Apple and Microsoft, transformed the computer from big, household unfriendly processors to the personal PC. For years, Apple reigned supreme in the computing market, but that changed with the development of Windows by Gates. The program was a huge success and challenged Apple's dominance of the market. After some turbulance from the release of Windows, Apple steadily grew in popularity within the past 10 years.

After the major developments of computers, computer programmers saw the need for a way in which to connect computers to one another to share information, commonly referred to as the internet. The idea first emerged from the RAND Corporation during the 1960's, but it wasn't until the 1990's that major developments in creating this interconnectivity emerged. The development of the World Wide Web signaled a new era of communication. Although, the technology took a few years to emerge into the general consciousness and work out the minor bits and bots, the web is now a massive sea which we swim in each day. It allows users to connect to anything and everything without censorship.

Personally, I grew up in a place of little technology (the rainforest). However, once moving to the city, I discovered the wonder of the internet and computers. My life is now infused with technology. It is like another extension to my body. I use computers for study, staying in touch with friends, networking, and sharing my creative works with complete strangers. And it still amazes me

No comments:

Post a Comment